|ProtectDVD is a unique copy protection system for Publishers that use DVD media. A unique fingerprint applied to the DVDs during the manufacturing process enables the ProtectDVD software components to differentiate original from copied DVDs.
ProtectDVD tries to secure against:
- Duplicate the original DVD - the copy will not work and the software will ask for the original DVD. No DVD burner/software combination is physically able to write the mass manufactured unique fingerprint.
- Copy the DVD to the hard disk - the program will not work if the original DVD was not at least once in the drive.
- Emulate the original DVD - the protected program will request the original DVD if run from an emulated drive.
- Cracking and distributing cracked versions - ProtectDVD uses highly sophisticated anti-cracking technology that does not only prevent generic cracks but also makes individual cracks extremely hard. In fact, no ProtectDVD version was ever broken...
- Professional piracy through mass replication is much harder (* although with good equipment possible).
- Algorithm theft is almost impossible since the programs will be encrypted and debugging is securely disabled.
Their statement that "no ProtectDVD version was ever broken", is a bit outdated as at least one PC Game (Anstoss 2007) was cracked in September 2006.
From the users perspective:
- Very fast protection detection and 100% compatibility - the fingerprint check is only a matter of seconds. Since ProtectDVD is within the specifications of the DVD-ROM spec, no additional hardware compatibility issues are introduced.
- 100% transparent check - the user is not required to enter an individual code.
- Wrapping tools can be controlled by command line for automated protection on build systems.
- New individual/machine limited unlock keys can be created for developer and beta machines to be able to test the FINAL master without the need for pre-production DVDs.
ProtectDVD blacklists certain applications, like DAEMON Tools & Alcohol 120%, when they are available.